Saturday, October 23, 2010

Behaviour

I'm working on a long post at the moment regarding Insulin resistance, Inflammation, Gut Irritation and Auto immune disease (basically a post on why we should avoid grains!). It's a long one and I won't get it out today. I may make it a 2 parter over the next couple of days.

Instead today, I thought I would post about behaviour. There are 2 issues I want to look at here. One is people's response to the idea of changing thier diet. I am always amazed that people will go to a doctor. The doctor will prescribe them some medication to deal with their high blood pressure or any other number of ailments that are brought on by their crappy diet. They will then run straight out of the surgery, go to the chemist, get their prescription filled and then start taking the medication that will treating the symptoms rather than the cause of their issue.

These same people, when considering a change in their diet (that might actually fix the cause of their problem, rather than just treat the symptoms!)always find a reason to procrastinate. You always here the excuses, "Well, I'll start next week." or "I have (insert random event here) coming up and I'll just start after that." The only problem is that there is always something else coming up.

Another favourite of mine, "Well I'll need to do some research on that before I commit to it." Really? You want to research it? That's brilliant! That is a fantastic atttitude. Hang on a minute, did you research the chemically manufactured drugs the doctor prescribed to you? Did you research the ailment that he is treating your for? No? Why not? Where is your consistency. Why is it that a change in diet, simply asking you to eat Meats and fish, Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts and Seeds, requires rigorous research, but asking you to swallow down some totally unnatural chemical concoction that may have some sideaffects requires no research?

The other issue of behaviour that I want to address is the effect that diet can have on behaviour. The video that I have attached below is a long one. However, as a father to a wonderful son and as a teacher I found it one of the most fascinating things I have ever watched. Check it out and then post thoughts to comments.



Finally, I hope you have got rid of all the rubbish in your cupboards and stocked up on plenty of fresh produce, meats, fish, and good fats. This journey starts with breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment:

Alex said...

hey mate, Hows it going?
This is a very interesting video, I saw it a while back. Might be a good idea to google his name. He appears on quackwatch.com as someone who may have some dubious information. Having said that though so do Weston A Price and Atkins! It's interesting to read another take on the video that is not bias confirming.
On a lighter note, are you around over the christmas period? I'll be down there from the 24th to about the 29th/30th, be great to graba beer and catch up on the past 6 months.
Have a good one